Sunday 10 February 2013

First week of training

Although I am generally pretty active (and hopefully fit!) anyway, the past week has seen the first full week of 'training' for London to Brighton raising money for Bliss.

16 weeks in total, the program I am using is a mix of
  • Walking
  • Sprinting
  • Cycling
  • Strength

During the week, I generally do a mix of strength work (before work) and cycling (to commute to work), with walking fitted in where possible (before work, lunchtimes, running errands around town and so on).

The weekends are then where the real walking happens, ramping up from an hour initially through to a 10 hour walk two or three weeks before the challenge. There is wriggle room in this depending on what else I am doing, which generally means that either cub camps get in the way, or I am hiking with the cubs anyway, where the plan would be to do the hike with the cubs, and then retrace my steps and walk home once they have gone! I will also be walking to and from work occasionally and am also signed up for the organiser's night hike training walk in April.

Today was a two hour walk, around 7.5 miles. Despite the weather it was nice to get out and feel like I was making some progress towards the goal. I am under no illusions that this is going to be a walk in the park, but so far so good!

What I thought would be interesting is to revisit the Training Lore that I devised during my Cambridge to Paris cycle, to see which ones are relevant to this challenge and also to build on them during this challenge. The full list was first published here.

Nigel's Training Lore #1.
Routes well known to you by car are further or hillier when observed from the vantage point of a bike
I guess this will be even more the case by foot! I guess the advantage is that most walks will be comparatively short, although the 30-35 mile walks over 10 hours will give plenty of room for feeling the hills and distance!

Nigel's Training Lore #2.
Getting out for a ride whatever the weather may be admirable. It is also stupid
This was based on the crashes I had in awful weather. This is less of an issue for walking, particular when walking from home. I am unlikely to require mountain rescue in rural Essex.

Nigel's Training Lore #3.
Putting an extra pair of ordinary socks on is no match for sub-zero temperatures in driving wind and rain in December. Get some thermal socks!
For cycling, I have since discovered booties for my road bike, and Bike Gaiters for commuting. For walking, socks really are important. I'm currently trying some Injinji Socks, which seem pretty cool.


Nigel's Training Lore #4.
Over 2 or so hours in the saddle burns lots of energy - ensure you take on extra in the form of bars, gels or drinks.
Interesting, this one. Since going Primal, this now runs counter to how I believe the body optimally works. Again, I will write a fuller post on the primal lifestyle soon, but essentially, since reducing refined sugars, eliminating grains, avoiding industrial oils and basically just eating real food, the need for continuous sugar top ups has gone and I am much more of a fat burning machine! When doing longer hikes and activities with cubs and scouts, jerky, nuts, seeds and protein have been my fuel sources, along the lines of this article.

Nigel's Training Lore #5.
Not all gels and bars are born the same.Try them in training so you don't find out you don't like them/they don't agree with you during your real event!
Just eat real food!

Nigel's Training Lore #6.
Actually, real food (pretzels, licorice, bagels, cereal bars) may work just as well.
 I was ahead of my time :o)

Nigel's Training Lore #7.
Your bike has two tyres, so taking two spare inner tubes with you makes a lot of sense!
One of the things I like about walking is the simplicity. No mechanical failures. No impact injuries. Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat. Even better when going barefoot or wearing minimalist shoes!

Nigel's Training Lore #8.
Not all training rides will be great, but another good one is just around the corner.
I'm sure this will apply to walks!

Nigel's Training Lore #9.
A training program is a guide not a rulebook. Enforced rest and 'listening to your body' will help to give your body the rest it needs. But at the same time don't use that as an excuse!
Absolutely. Listening to your body, getting rest and also fitting in with family commitments all help to ensure a training program is successful and doesn't add extra stress.

Nigel's Training Lore #10.
If you can design a figure of eight route it allows you to stop off at home half way round your ride which particularly in winter means you can warm up, change and go out again refuelled. It also means you're closer to home if you encounter any problems.
I'd forgotten this one and am glad I have remembered it, as it could be useful for the longer walks.

Nigel's Training Lore #11.
During a prolonged training campaign such as for something like London to Paris, there will inevitably be times when injuries get in the way. Don't fight through it, rest up, safe in the knowledge that overall you will cover the ground.
 As for rule #9

Nigel's Training Lore #12.The Human body is capable of amazing things which dedication and determination can help bring to fruition.
It's why we're here. The dedication and determination of the medical staff helped Eoin's own dedication and determination to survive and ultimately thrive. My own dedication and determination is in repaying that and helping Bliss to help others in the future

Kill the Dragon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment