Sunday 3 February 2013

The new challenge

So 3 years on, a new challenge is in the offing. London to Brighton. By foot. 100km (62 miles) or thereabouts. In less than 24 hours.

Why?

It's really a combination of a few things.

  • I feel like I need another challenge to keep me young. I previously said I would do LEJOG before I was 40. For several reasons I decided against this. It was a large time commitment both for training and actually doing the challenge. It potentially was also a large financial commitment. Apart from that though (and I know this sounds incredibly arrogant), having completed Cambridge to Paris, I know I could do LEJOG. As long as I did the training and put in the time, it would be achievable. And with the intrigue gone, so did the motivation. I'm sure it is an awesome feeling and would still be a challenge, but there are other things out there that hold greater interest right now
  • I want to raise some money for charity. I have continued to do this over the last few years. Most recently I did Movember last year. Whilst that was more of a mental challenge (looking like a **** for a month is not easy!), I want to test my body again. I also want to do something that is perceived as a challenge that warrants support
  • Having completed marathons and bike challenges, the simplicity yet still challenging nature of walking challenges intrigues me. This also fits in well with my primal living, and the walking ability of our hunter gatherer. My intention (subject to change!) is to undertake this challenge as primally as possible. No gels or carb loaded gels. Minimalist footwear
  • It fits in nicely with the Global Corporate Challenge which we do at work each year (more on that in another post maybe)
  • It is a big challenge but at the same time can be done and dusted in a few weeks, fitting in nicely with my time availability. This will require proper training, a commitment to improving fitness and planning. But by the end of May, will be done and dusted. I like that. I have plenty more things I want to achieve
  • The ability (or otherwise!) of the human being to stay awake and physically active for 24 hrs at a stretch also intrigues me
  • I love being active at night and at dawn. Could be that primal thing again!
 So, the challenge itself. Starting in Richmond Park, the route meanders through the English countryside down to Brighton, finishing at the racecourse there. It's 100km or thereabouts although as for all challenges, that number is just the final piece of the overall challenge which starts with the first training step.

Those steps will take me there over the next 110 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment